10 Free Things To Do in Paris
Paris has the reputation of being one of the more expensive major cities to visit, however, many of the entry costs to the museums are very reasonable at around 5 Euros per person. To help you stick to your budget, without compromising on your experience, there are plenty of free things you can do. Here, in no particular order, are our top 10 free things to do in Paris:
1. Unfortunately, due to the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in April 2019, you cannot enter the square outside or cathedral. However, you can still view from a distance and it is well worth a look at this stunning gothic building.
2. Take a relaxing scroll along the River Seine and take in the views of some of most iconic attractions of Paris, such as the Louvre, the Eifel Tower, Musée d’Orsay and Notre Dame.
3. The entrance to the Basilica of the Sacré-Coeur with its distinctive white dome is free. The Romano-Byzantine place of worship is home to the Apse mosaic, one of the largest in the world. There is a small charge to experience incredible views over Paris from the dome heights.
4. The Arc de Triomphe has some stunning views of Paris from the top. Take a stroll down the majestic avenues of the Champs Elysees and then visit this monument, commissioned by Napoleon, which is free for students.
5. The Palace of Versailles and its impressive park of over 800 hectares with sculptures is an UNESCO World Heritage Site for its ‘unique artistic realisation’. Entrance is free for students where you can to visit the art gallery and look at all the splendour.
6. Have a wander around the Latin Quarter which is one of the liveliest and busiest areas of Paris. Explore the maze of small and charming streets, and converse with the locals for the full immersion into French culture.
7. Head to the Trocadéro Square to get one of the best photo opportunities of the iconic Eiffel Tower built, originally, as a temporary structure for the World Fair held in 1889. Visit after sunset and you will get to experience it sparkling with thousands of beautiful lights!
8. Wander along the trendy banks of the Canal St Martin constructed in the early 19th century on the orders of Napoleon. It has been used as a film location and is where you will find the walls covered in a variety of styles of street art.
9. In the Hôtel des Invalides, now a military museum, Napoleon Bonaparte is buried under the golden dome. Entrance is free for students and there is a magnificent array of buildings built in the seventieth century as a home and hospital for retired French soldiers.
10. There are many art museums where entrance is free for students; Musée de Louvre well-known for its art masterpieces including the Mona Lisa, Musée d’Orsay most famous for its paintings by Monet, Degas, Renoir, Cezanne and Van Gogh, Musée d’Art Moderne dedicated to the modern and contemporary art movements, the Picasso Museum with a collection comprising of over his 5,000 works, Musée de l’Organerie dedicated to impressionist and post-impressionist paintings and the Musée les Arts Décoratifs displaying works from textiles and furniture to modern advertising and toys spread over three sites in Paris.
Inspired? Our selection of college or school trips to Paris are suitable for many subjects including Art & Design, Fashion, Science, History, Business, French Language, Performing Arts as well as a general Cultural & Enrichment tour.
Give us a call and start your journey to Paris with European Study Tours today.
Welcome Discount for Every New Teacher
As a teacher/lecturer booking with us for the first time, you can SAVE £30pp on your next school/college trip to the USA and other long haul destinations and £10pp on UK and Europe destinations.
Price Match Guarantee
Welcome Discount for Every New Teacher
We GUARANTEE to match any LIKE-FOR-LIKE quote from another tour operator so you can be confident you're getting the best value for money.
We are here to ensure you and your students get the most out of your tour and we are confident that our prices are competitive without compromising on quality. If you have obtained an alternative quote from another tour operator our team would be delighted to discuss this with you.